- This event has passed.
Out On The Shelves: Grand Opening Party
February 15 | 6:00 PM - 8:00 PMFree
Come Celebrate the Grand Opening of Out On The Shelves, Vancouver’s only LGBTQ2IA+ library, on UBC Campus!
Get a free library card! Participate in our fundraiser raffle! There will also be some used books for sale, music, snacks, and a chance to check out books and DVDs! Everyone is welcome.
How to Find Us:
We are located on the second floor on the Nest (UBC’s new student union building) on the UBC West Point Grey campus on Musqueam territory. Our library is nestled into the Resource Groups area. To find us, take the stairs or elevator up to the second floor from the main level of the Nest. From there, head down the hallway directly in front of you. Watch for signs for “Resource Groups.” Near the end of the hall, a doorway for the main Resource Groups (Room 2102) will be on your right. Go through the door and then head straight down the hall to room 2112. That’s us!
This event takes place on the tradition, ancestral, and unceded territories of the hən̓ q̓ əmin̓ əm speaking Musqueam people. As a library, we are committed to decolonization work and acknowledge that it’s important to consider how libraries, today and historically, are places where colonization and decolonization as well as homo/bi/queer/transphobia are reinforced and challenged at the same time.
We’re also very happy to partner will CiTR Radio 101.9FM, the student radio station, for this event!
(Partial template used with thanks from RAMP)
- The size of our library space in total is approximately 12.5 x 25 feet. The doorway is 89cm wide, as is a space immediately after the doorway between a desk and a bookcase. The room is filled with stacks on the edges, with various distances between them, ranging from 116cm to 77cm. The width of the centre of the room between the stacks on the edges is 128cm and 190cm at different points.
- The Nest has single stall, gender neutral bathrooms available on each floor, including the second floor where we are located. Unfortunately these are not fully accessible as they don’t have push buttons. We are talking to folks to try to get this fixed! There are accessible stalls in the gender marked shared space bathrooms.
- The Nest building is accessible for folks with mobility aids, with wheelchair accessible paths marked, no steps to enter the building from the east side, a ramp on the west side of the building, automatic doors on every side, and elevators.
- Room signs and elevator buttons in the Nest are provided in braille; there are also audible signals in the elevator.
- There is space just outside or inside the library to park mobility scooters and walkers if you wish!
- UBC is very accessible both by public transit and bike, and the Nest is close to the bus loop. Route numbers that go to UBC are: 4, 42, 44, 10, 17, 480, 258, 9, 25, 33, 41, 43, 49, 99, and 84. There are multiple options for bike lockups at various doorways into the Nest.
- Unfortunately the Nest building as a whole does not have a scent policy, so we cannot guarantee the building is scent free or scent reduced. We do encourage you to come to the library scent reduced or scent free if you are able.
- Out On The Shelves is open and welcoming to children! We have a small picture book selection as well as some middle grade and YA books that we are working to expand.